Tonye Solomon, a resident of Bayelsa State, Nigeria, has achieved an extraordinary feat that has left his compatriots in awe. After embarking on a 60-kilometer (37-mile) journey from Amassoma to Yenagoa with a football delicately balanced on his head, doubts about the authenticity of his story began to circulate.
To silence the skeptics and further demonstrate his remarkable skills, Tonye decided to undertake a daring challenge to establish a Guinness World Records title for the “most steps climbed on a ladder while balancing a football on the head.”
In a breathtaking display of skill and determination, Tonye successfully accomplished this feat just last month. He climbed an astonishing 150 steps to reach the summit of a towering 250-foot (76-meter) radio mast while expertly controlling the football perched on his head.
Tonye, who saw this achievement as a personal challenge and a source of inspiration for others, dedicated two months to rigorous training. He diligently honed his abilities, devoting all of his free time to practice until he felt confident in his abilities.
During the record-setting attempt, Tonye appeared undaunted by the daunting ascent, completing the climb in a mere 12 and a half minutes.
“I was astonished because it’s never been done by anyone before,” remarked Fish Jombo, a radio presenter who was among the large crowd that gathered to witness the historic event.
Upon reaching the pinnacle of the mast, Tonye jubilantly tossed the football down and celebrated with a triumphant fist pump.
Acknowledging the significance of his accomplishment, Tonye expressed his gratitude, saying, “It wasn’t easy,” and thanked the Nigerian Civil Defense Bayelsa State Command for providing him with the facility for this remarkable endeavor.
Tonye is a member of the Chukwuebuka Freestyle Academy, under the guidance of Chukwuebuka Ezugha, which has nurtured several record-breaking talents, including Kid Eche, Vincent Okezie, Victor Richard Kipo, and Confidence Kipo.
Among the Guinness World Records titles achieved by this academy’s talented individuals are:
- Fastest time to 1000 football touches while balancing a ball on the head: 7 minutes 46 seconds, by Kid Eche.
- Most consecutive football touches in one minute while balancing a football on the head: 133, by Kid Eche.
- Most knee transfers of a football spun on the finger in one minute: 31, by Confidence Kipo.
- Most consecutive passes of a football between the head and soles (team of two): 252, by Chukwuebuka Ezugha and Victor Richard Kipo.
- Most football ‘around the world’ tricks with arms linked (team of two): 71, by Victor Richard Kipo and Vincent Okezie.
- Most transfers of footballs spun on the finger in 30 seconds (team of two): 9, by Victor Richard Kipo and Vincent Okezie.
- Most consecutive passes of a football between the head and soles while balancing on the back of a person: 129, achieved by Chukwuebuka Ezugha, Victor Richard Kipo, and Vincent Okezie.
Tonye’s exceptional achievement and the talents nurtured by the Chukwuebuka Freestyle Academy continue to inspire and captivate audiences worldwide.