February 23 marked the day millions of Nigerians came out en masse (not really) to vote for their next leader and federal lawmakers. As always, the race was narrowed down to two political parties, All Progressives Congress (APC) and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) represented by Muhammadu Buhari and Atiku Abubakar respectively.
For the first time in Nigeria’s 20 years history of uninterrupted civilian rule, there was a dialogue about considering a third force, prompting a profileration of political parties formed or joined by prominent Nigerians, some of which include Oby Ezekwesili, Omoyele Sowore, Kingsley Moghalu, Fela Durotoye, Eunice Atuejide and others. This fresh politicians engaged Nigerian youths on social media, radio and debates mostly, with very little offline campaigns. But what came as a surprise to many after the polls was how one Nicholas Felix of the People’s Coalition Party (PCP) managed to come out third with 110,196 votes, even scoring more than popular third force candidates combined.
The reason is glaring, Nicolas never really intended to run for Nigeria’s highest office, he probably had an idea and tried testing it out. Felix’s PCP party was placed just above the leading opposition party PDP (People’s Democratic Party), led by former vice president Atiku Abubakar. Further, the colors of PCP’s party logo are exactly the same as the PDP’s. Did it work? No, because while it is an impressive trick, this strategy has no potential long term impact. We decided to list a few things you didn’t know about the new ‘brave’ kid on the block.
- Nicolas Felix is a 37 year old pastor originally from Edo state but based in the United States.
- He holds an Associate Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering from Federal Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State, Nigeria and some Undergraduate Credits from City University of New York in Nursing Program Pre-requisite. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Biblical Studies (BBS) Major Concentration in Ministry Leadership & Minor Concentration Pastoral Ministry from Ames Christian University in Florida, USA. He also holds Doctorate Degree in Divinity (DD) from CICA International University & Seminary in New York City.
- He won a US visa lottery back in 2003, he set us his church Miracle Center International after relocating.
- Felix said his ‘victory’ was as a result of hard work put into his campaign, revealing that his encouraging performance has proven that he’s the true leader of the Third Force, and will be back to run again in 2023.
- He hosts a TV program titked ‘Power for Miracles with Pastor Nicolas Felix’ aired on various local channels across New York.
- He is a published author, life coach and founder of companies. As all Christian books end, he is happily married and blessed with four children.